Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Healthy Turkey Chili

I am finally back. It has been a while, life I guess just caught up with me! Well I am kind of on a cooking kick this month so here goes.

I made this turkey chill for Aaron's work Christmas party. He told me all they had on the sign up sheet was meatballs, cupcakes and soda. There was no way I was gonna let that happen so I made a hearty, healthy turkey chili that could be kept warm in the slow cooker, so that they could munch on it all day. Since it was the night before the bash I had to use what I had in the house.

1 lb ground turkey
Extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion
1 cup of frozen mixed bell peppers (lightly thawed)
1 cup of frozen corn (lightly thawed)
1 can black beans
1 28 oz can of tomatoes
1 can of chili beans
3 cups of chicken broth
3 tablespoons of chili powder
1 tbs of cayenne pepper
1 tbs of cumin
1 tbs of dried oregano
black pepper to taste
salt to taste
3 cloves of minced garlic

Saute ground turkey in a bit of olive oil. Add some salt and pepper. Once browned add to large pot/dutch oven. Next saute onion over low heat in the same pan you browned the turkey, for a bit more flavor. If needed add some olive oil until lightly translucent, add a bit of salt & pepper. Add minced garlic for a few minutes. Add the onions and garlic to the slow cooker or a large pot/dutch oven on low heat. Add all of the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Once to a boil reduce to simmer and cover. Relax and let the simmer do all the work. At this time you can add to the slow cooker on low or keep on the stove for as long as you want, at least one hour. The longer it goes the thicker it is. It is even better re-heated the next day. When re-heating it you can add more chicken broth to thin it out a bit. Hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment